Saturday, July 12, 2008

Cadence

I know there have been a lot of hardships going on around the tea community lately. Cancer, separations, and divorce being the three that stick out in my head at the moment. It floors me to see such good people enduring these kinds of events, and although the base of people who will likely read this is still very limited, my heart goes out deeply to everyone who is going through some kind of hardship. It's summertime; we're supposed to be with our families and our children. We're supposed to be teaching those around us all the things that make our fragile little lives worthwhile.

Sometimes we get so wrapped up in the day to day that we cannot begin to truly enjoy these moments that are here before us now. We miss the subtle points entirely. I think sometimes this carries over into our enjoyment of good food and drink. Much of an experience is a person's mental state while it's happening. My mother said

"Did you ever notice how when you have a good day, Grace seems to have a good day too? I think children can sense a person's level of anxiety and they respond to it."

Earlier today, I stopped by my parents' house to help my father with his computer. Both of my parents are cancer survivors. When it comes down to it, they both could have very easily not made it. I consider myself fortunate to have them here. Without them, I have no idea how I would raise my daughter. Yet, I so seldom remind myself of the importance of remembering just how lucky I am to have them. I get out of rhythm with my thoughts and always end up scatterbrained.

To that end, I will close every tea session the same way; remembering how lucky I am to have my time before me. Remembering those who have helped me, and those who have cared for me. Those who have stopped to say hello, and those who have their hearts nestled so deeply within this community. It is for all of these people that I can be here at this moment. It's to all of them that I will honour my last cup.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Great Pu-erh blog. You may be interested in reading mine.


Bill